The biggest thing I have learned through this class honestly, is how a virtual class is run. Since many of the concepts I have previously studied at Cal Poly, the refresher was very helpful and interesting, however the new territory I encountered was the virtual environment of the class. Since I have never taken an online course before, it was very different for me to become accustomed to taking tests and communicating with the professor and fellow classmates exclusively online. For this reason, I found it was useful to include as much detail in my posts as possible since this was basically the only interpretation my classmates and teacher would have of me. In a way this aspect was also my least favorite thing about the class. Though the online nature made the course convenient since I am a full-time employee, I still prefer the classroom environment. With that being said, I thought the class was very well structured, the professor stayed in constant communication with her students via email and her blog. The only thing I would change, if possible, would be to have a classroom meeting at least once a week where personal interaction could be fostered.
Hello Steph Stroud
ReplyDeleteI believe that we both learned some of the same things about taking online classes. With this also being my first online class I have ever taken, I have also had to adjust to the differences in the online class and the different ways of learning and interacting with the students online. I agree with you in tying to add as much detail about your self and your beliefs about different concepts, because as you said it is the only interpretation that the class and the professor gets of you. I completely agree with you on preferring a classroom over an online class, not that there was anything I did not like about this class, I just feel a bit more interacting when I can see the other students and professor to better interact with them.
Hey Steph,
ReplyDeleteI've actually taken quite a few online classes, but felt that this class particularly taught me a lot about engaging with people over the internet. Generally speaking, I tend to be a rather cloistered individual -choosing to share as little about myself as possible. While this might be reasonable in F2F interactions, it almost makes you seem "soulless" over the internet. You seem to have been really good about this factor -posting pictures and engaging with students in a very genuine way. It certainly inspired me to do the same!
One last time, thanks for the great post :) You always seem to post things that inspire discussion!
-TyroneQ