When trying to think of examples of a social construction, the first that came to my mind was of a Spanish siesta. When I was living in Barcelona, every afternoon from anytime between 2-6pm, the busy streets would calm down, store fronts would close up, and life literally stood still. During this time, nothing was scheduled-no class, no meetings, nothing mandatory was desired of you by the Spanish. Instead they invited you to relax in the afternoon with a siesta, or afternoon nap, or any other kind of leisurely activity. Though most people don’t take the entire afternoon off every day, there is no scheduled time for this “siesta”. Offices close on a whim, when the manager feels like leaving, so business hours are never posted on store fronts and it’s always TBD. This lifestyle, and idea of a siesta, is a way of living life that doesn’t exist in American culture. We have a very rigid idea of time and scheduling, especially in the business world; something the Spanish could never adhere to. For this reason, I love living in Barcelona for the 5, almost 6 months I was there. Every afternoon, I was able to be free from school and walk around the city, enjoying friends, sights and more often than not, wine or sangria. In a sense the Spanish have a much more open and free interpretation on how to live life, and taught me how to slow down. Deadlines and schedules were replaced with meaningful conversations and friendships which understood delayed deadlines and worked around schedules instead of dictating them. It is hard to say which culture has a happier lifestyle, but one thing I know for sure is I do sincerely miss my afternoon siesta.
Here's a glimpse at what I would find on my afternoon explorations in Spain when most were taking a siesta:



Hello,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post! I have also been to Barcelona and noticed the streets getting quieter. I wish the US had that, it seems it is a much more calm lifestyle. Here, it seems everyone is always in a rush with places to be. No one takes the time to relax and smell the air(so to say). It is so different how different parts of the world are so different and also different cities are also very different. Take new york city or Vegas, those are two cities which never sleep. Some parts in California seem so calm compared to those cities. I do admire the way of the Spanish and the siesta! Thanks for sharing!!!
Hi Steph,
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I love that fact that you include graphics into almost all of your posts. It really sets them apart and adds a further dimension to your descriptions. That being said, I think the idea of a "seista" is incredibly foreign in American culture. Additionally, I've also heard that in European cultures, it's common to go to bed around 10pm and wake up at 2am for a few hours...then fall back asleep around 6am! It's as though these people have an additional "half-day" in the middle of the night. this practice creates a way of life (a "world") that is foreign to Americans, but is completely common in other parts of the world.
-TyroneQ
I really enjoyed your post because not only did it provide a good example to relate the social constructionist model but also it included some great photos from your trip. It was interesting to learn that in Spain they let you take a break from whatever it is your doing. That “siesta” would really come in handy for this upcoming semester since it will be a busy one for me. Your example has really made me realize just how different things are around the world. Not only did it make me realize that but it also made me realize that we would never know these things unless we experience them ourselves or we learn about them through others’ experiences like you have shared with us.
ReplyDeleteI loved your post about siestas. In Mexico we also have siesta time, however during this time, everything is shut down, even the water to take a shower, at least in the small towns of Mexico. I also think that it is hard for American Culture to understand the time for siestas because to American culture this may come off as “lazy” because most Americans work from 8-5 so having a 4 hour break in between to take a nap would not be acceptable. At the same time it goes both ways. A lot of the stuff that we do in America would not be acceptable in Spain or Mexico. I thought your post was great! Good job!
ReplyDelete